Yugioh
Hi everyone and welcome to my personal blog! Despite the huge Yugioh banner above this text, I post about other things too, specifically video games. Leave comments wherever you like and check me out on Facebook and Twitter @Veedotme.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

My favorite decks and why I run them

Ever since I first bought 2 Kaiba starter decks, I've always built decks revolving around my favorite monsters. Back then it was a blue-eyes deck using Ultimate Offering and 2000 def monsters. Then it was Summoned Skull Beatdown, as this was the only competitive deck around lol. Later it became Relinquished and then Dark Necrofear. Now, let's not get confused on how casual players play their favorite card and how I do (even though I can probably still be called casual). When I built my Necrofear deck, I didnt just splash her into any deck that ran a fiend. I actually had fully committed build towards Fiends using her as the boss (and Dark Ruler "Ha Des" as back-up). When I build decks with my favorite cards, it's because I intend to use them against people playing tier 1 decks. At this moment I will disclaim, and that I don't mind "meta-decks" at all if people want to run them. Hell, I would probably run Herald if I could have gotten the Tehtys's before the monster came out. The 2 decks I have, I have because I plan to use them, and I test with them constantly. Koa'ki Meirus have proved themselves to be playable, I just have to find the decklist I would be satisfied with. So let's talk about Deck #2 today, Divine Grace - Northwemko.


Pros and cons of Northy:
Pro - 2700 ATK.
Pro - Can't be destroyed by card effects unless your opponent removes her targets from the field.
Pro - Ritual Magic card makes her immune to card effects for 1 turn.
Pro - level 7 so she can be used with Djinn Releaser to further insure her life.
Con - 1200 def.
Con - Requires at least 1 face up card on the field to increase her survivability.

As you can see, her first Con is the same as most boss monsters in Yugioh, her second Con is not as comparable though, which brings us to her strategy. What cards should I have on the field as her targets? Well, we would want something that is difficult to destroy, and actually helps us too. That gives us the choice of cards like Royal Decree, Burden of the Mighty, Magical Citadel of Endymion and Secret Village of the Spellcasters. Those cards, barring burden are great for insuring their OWN life and Northy's! Citadel can almost never be destroyed by Spell cards and neither can Village. If your opponent does manage to destroy them, then you can take satisfaction in that your opponent used cards to get rid of those. Even with the destruction prevention, Northy is unfortunately susceptible to every other card your opponent may be using (Book of Moon, D. Prison, etc). A lot of people feel Northy is underpowered because of this fact, but let's not forget that most monsters in the game are susceptible to the above cards. Anyway, because of those cards, we have to run a LOT of S/T hate. This comes in the form of triple Breaker, the Magical Warrior, Double Royal Decree, and trap stun. I believe the deck may also benefit from cards like dark bribe; if you successful summon Northy with a field card, decree, and/or Releaser, then your opponent gaining an extra card after spending their book of moon is less of a threat than ever. Of course you can't use Bribe while decree is on the field, so we'd have to come up with a better idea.

In any case, the build is not tournament ready. I have a LOT more testing to do, but the results have been satisfactory so far. If you want to see the build it is in the pages above.

The next deck to be made is fiends, running Dark Necrofear, Neosphere, Caius(until he is limited) and Stygians. I believe that will be just as much of a treat as the others! (DREV will be AWESOME with Stygian Security).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.