Yugioh
Hi everyone and welcome to my personal blog! Despite the huge Yugioh banner above this text, I post about other things too, specifically video games. Leave comments wherever you like and check me out on Facebook and Twitter @Veedotme.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

FML

I had intent to make this post a long, long time ago. I would have conveyed my surging rage on the internet about some of the games I had been playing at that time. League of Legends and Dark Souls are the key components of the post, but the rage has surprising quelled! First off, I can say that I finished my first playthrough of Dark Souls, which I almost never expected to complete.
Dark Souls
In this post of the best games ever, I was really excited about Dark Souls. I bought the game shortly after release, thanks to a sale, and let it sit in my Gaming Ottoman for a while. I believe I was playing Uncharted 3 at that time. At least a month later, I finally decided to pull out the game..and I was in for a (un)pleasant surprise.

Now, don't assume that I didn't like the game, because I definitely did. The game may have been a little overwhelming for me, as I did terribly at first. Eight hours into my character, I realized that I needed to start over. I NEVER "reroll" characters in games, but Hiryo was so far behind and had wasted so many hours, that I created a new character. In that same 8 hours, I traveled twice as far and had much better equipment and bank. Another oddity, I had built a Boy-weilding character, which is arguably one of the worst builds in all of Dark Souls. Despite that, my campaign was going well. The first boss of the game gave me little trouble with Basaimah and I began to finally build a real-life skillset to play this game successfully.

That is, until I ran into the the Capra Demon of Lower Undead Burg...The worst feeling in a game like this is to be stuck on "beginner monster," and the Capra Demon definitely fills that role. In hindsight, every boss of Dark Souls isn't very difficult. Of course, the difficult is only evident when you actually fight the monster, and this is where I had so much trouble.

Imagine if you will, an alley. There is a set of stairs on one side that don't lead anywhere, they are just stairs and a drop back into the alley. Your enemy charges each of his attacks and leaps to strike you, fairly easy to avoid. To hold you in place, there are 2 minions that stagger you upon hitting(and they have a fast attack speed). They have low HP, but their run speed and attack speed give you minimal chances to get in damage.

I was so bad at killing this thing, that I left the area completely to try my luck at other bosses. In Dark Souls, the world is fairly open, so you do have the ability to set monsters aside for a later time. However, the difference between this and Demons Soul is that avoiding 1 difficult monster just leads you to another. If you cannot kill the ones you are currently facing (at least strategy-wise), there isn't much sense in skipping it. This was my problem: I had positioned myself between a rock and a hard place with the game.
A) Fight the Capra Demon.
B) Travel through the Catacombs and find a way to deal with reviving skeletons.
C) Make my way through Blighttown and not get lost.
D) Find a way past the Hydra.
E) USE A GUIDE.

I rarely use guides in any game, but not using one in Dark Souls is just torture. You don't have to follow it as a strict map for finishing the game. What you can do, and what I finally did after months of not playing the game, is figure out what you're missing that may actually give you an advantage on these difficult fights. To be quite honest, we assume that the developers of Dark Souls expect you to find these items and shortcuts designed to make life easier. And, even with my terrible bow character, I created my own roadmap that led me to finishing the game!
1) Travel through New Londo Ruins to obtain the composite bow.
2) Return to Undead Asylum to get the Rusty ring.
3) Use the souls found on the Crest of Artorias and find Pharis's Black Bow.
4) Use the new-found items to roam Blighttown and clear all the shortcuts.
5) Kill the Capra Demon, then clear the rest of the Undead area.
6) Kill the Hydra with the new items and make your way to the other end of Artorias's map.
7) Enter Sen's Fortress.
8) Enter Anor Londo
9) ???
10) Beat the game!

And trust me, I still rage every time I die in this game, but the difference here is the level of "impossibility." As the game progress and your confidence increases, the "impossibility" rating of monsters and areas begins to decrease. Situations that seemed completely unreasonable, sudden become..possible.



League on the other hand gets FMLs daily, and there isn't much to do about it. The rage that I had for this will have to wait for next time, as I don't want you guys to have to read a novel 1 on post. What I can give you are a few hints to my frustration:
1) I'm leveling "smurf" account from 1 to level 30.
2) I am NOT playing with friends.
3) I am buying as little champs as possible, mostly filling roles for weeks that I do not approve of.
4) I am avoiding the use of RP on this account. (maybe I'll buy a few skins).
Please do not feel sorry for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.