Yugioh
Hi everyone and welcome to my personal blog! Despite the huge Yugioh banner above this text, I post about other things too, specifically video games. Leave comments wherever you like and check me out on Facebook and Twitter @Veedotme.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Understanding deck hurdles

I have been on that Duel Monsters Genisis(DMG) for a couple of days now. It is slightly better than dueling myself over YVD because a play I would make is not necessarily one an opponent would make. When I test, it is usually against a computer generated synchro or blackwing deck. These decks don't require too much additional thinking, and the moves you make aren't too dependent on your opponent's field. For example, a blackwing player will pretty much always start off with a set vayu or summon a monster after activating black whirlwind. DMG gives me the chance to "randomize" my experience even more. Unfortunately, DMG has some anime cards and starstrike blast cards that have been unregulated, which skews our testing results even farther. But even with that, we can identify problems with our deck and make any necessary changes.

Let's take the Northy build for example. A main problem with the deck is that a great deal of the monsters have 1400 atk. This means that an opening play with manju doesn't provide much "field presence". Therefore, I had to add in Honest. But even that is not enough, especially with all the dark monsters. I added in rush recklessly for even more of a surprise element, But I realized that even that is not enough with my 6 1900 ATK monsters and 6 1400 and less mosnters. This resulted in me having to add in Burden of the Mighty and 2 Lightning Vortex. Burden is a card that decreases the atk of a monster by its level, so a Stardust because 1700, a Scirocco becomes 1500, and many other level 4s drop to 1400. Lightning Vortex has been in and out of my deck a lot. Starlight Road is an obvious threat and hand management is VERY tight in this deck. But I realized, with triple Breakers, MST, Heavy, Decree and Dark Bribe, I really shouldnt be in any danger of getting starlight roaded, and if it does happen, then my opponent already has the advantage that a Lightning Vortex may not overthrow.

Thinking about the deck's weaknesses is VERY important. Right now I'm testing Core Compression in Koa'kis to offset the speed of the deck, testing Battle Faders in Fiends to offset the low atk monsters, and all that's left to do is wait for results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.