Yugioh
Hi everyone and welcome to my personal blog! Despite the huge Yugioh banner above this text, I post about other things too, specifically video games. Leave comments wherever you like and check me out on Facebook and Twitter @Veedotme.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Rule Sharking

A lot of times at locals there isn't so many people to give a ruling on a card or a situation. At stillpoint there is 1, at Diehard there is sometimes noone at all. Typically, if I can answer I do. I'm no judge but I am working to gain better understanding of the current tcg rulings. On Monday, a game-deciding question arose, does the effects on Blackwing Armor Master target. Now, when the monster was summoned, I already knew the question would be asked, you could see it on the guy's face lol whether or not his card can counter it. This was the debate:

Black-wing Armor Master
Blackwing Armor Master's effect quote: This card cannot be destroyed by battle, and you take no Battle Damage from battles involving this card. If this card attacks a monster, you can place 1 Wedge Counter on that monster at the end of the Damage Step (max. 1). You can remove all Wedge Counters from your opponent's monsters to reduce the ATK and DEF of each monster that had a Wedge Counter to 0, until the End Phase.


Tytannial, Princess of Camellias
Tytannial, Princess of Camellias: You can Tribute 1 face-up Plant-Type monster you control to negate the activation of a Spell, Trap, or Effect Monster's effect that targets a card(s) on the field and destroy it.

So our big question is, does Armor Master target?
The answer is an unfortunate no, no a single one of his effect targets.
1) Can not be destroyed by battle = Continuous
2) You take no Battle Damage = Continuous
3) Place a Wedge Counter the monster when this card attacks = Continuous. I believe the confusion here lies in the fact that the effect is optional, continuous, and seems like it targets. But the effect can't be continuous AND targets can it?
4) You can remove all the Wedge counters = Widespread Ignition

I still don't know enough to be called a judge at an event, but I do seem to be able to provide the correct ruling to those who ask. What's funny is that some people ruleshark during tournaments. They'll basically travel from table to table, watching for people to correct. When you think someone is cheating I'm all for stepping in, but in this game it is hard to tell the difference between cheating and ignorance. Some cards are so oddly ruled that you can't be surprised at someone's ignorance of it, but some people use a card so often, and the ruling has come up so often, and they often win tournaments that if you see them break the ruling, you may have to step in for cheating. Most of the time when I watch matches I will stay quiet, even when someone makes an illegal play. If the play is gamechanging I MAY step in, and if someone asks then I will definitely assist. But the last thing I need is a brick through my car window because I called someone on their game winning play lol.

Might be time to start parking a block away.

1 comment:

  1. Well I think it's obvious that tyttanial doesn't stop armor master in any way, I have no idea what these people are thinking. Seriously using common sense goes along way when trying to get rulings on a card

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading.