Yugioh
Hi everyone and welcome to my personal blog! Despite the huge Yugioh banner above this text, I post about other things too, specifically video games. Leave comments wherever you like and check me out on Facebook and Twitter @Veedotme.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Marvel Vs CAPcom! How do I Jill for $$$

So despite all the cool new games that are out, I am still trying to practice at Marvel vs Capcom. There are a few characters I like, but the only one I am willing to use as a point character is Jill. I talked a bit about my MvC 3 gaming in the last post about playing competitively and this Mahvel vs CAPcom post. Since those posts, I have taken a bit of a vacation from the game(Playing Dead Space 2 and Yugioh), so I haven't gotten much better. I have improved slightly, and playing online can be worse than having teeth pulled with the lag. Jill doesn't like laggy matches.

Jill Valentine and Dante
You guys may not be able to tell, but I'm about to get PUNISHED for missing this kick.

I've been doing a bit of experimentation for my team. As of right now, most people online agree that Jill on points with Wesker as an assist is the best team available for her. The 3rd slot is often set as a beam assist to allow Jill to cover ground more safely. Wesker gives Jill multiple advantages.
1) His OTG(off-the-ground) assist is one of the easiest and fastest in the game. Jill only has 1 OTG normal move which is a command throw, so using a character that has an assist like this helps to extend her combos.
2) You can DHC(Delayed Hyper Combo) her Raven Spike into Wesker's counter combo. When this is done(consider a glitch by most), the Damage scaling and hit stun is reset. This means that unlike a normal combo that gets increasingly less powerful on each consecutive hit, the damage resets to its original percentage. Not only that, but the hit stun, that degrades over time, gets a bit of a boost. "Resets" are ways that a lot of players one-shot full characters.

There are other assists that are OTGs.
Akuma
Chris Redfield(relaunches opponent after a ground bounce)
Crimson Viper (close range)
Deadpool
Hulk (doesn't launch them very high if I remember correctly)
Iron Man
Sentinel
She-Hulk
X-23

There are also a few Hyper combos that you can DHC into.
Amaterasu
Arthur
Dante
Deadpool
Felicia
Hsien-Ko
Morrigan
Phoenix
Sentinel
She-Hulk
Taskmaster
Thor
Trish
Tron
V.Joe
Wesker
Wolverine
X-23
Zero

I'm becomming a big fan of Trish and Tron, though I can't use them all that well. Morrigan is a character I already know how to play, so using her on the team should still be pretty decent. Even though it looks different in tournament play, the assists should probably not be spammed. If you go online, people will spam all the Sentinel assists and Akuma assists they want, which is sometimes okay because they can't be punished too easily(except Sentinel). Assists are only 1/3 of the game though, being able to hold combos is very important so I would like to direct your attention to this great video.


Author: pulsr

So after Step 1, which is finding 2 characters to play with Jill, I have to learn how to do combos with her. There are a few basic combos with Jill that are easy to do, but the problem is doing her full combo strings. She has a few of them and they involve doing her Flip Kicks and Feral Cancels. Over the course of time that I have been writing this SINGLE blog post, I have been practicing and practicing with Jill online. Though I still lose to cheap tactics, I have just about gotten her "magic combo" down. The "magic combo" is the most basic combo that pretty much all characters do: Low attack, Medium attack, High attack, S attack(launch). The combo I have been doing with Jill sucks and is so basic that I had to go make new ones.

That is Low, Medium, High, QCF-Low(Flip Kick), Hold L, QCF-Med(Cartwheel Kick), H(Somersault Kick), then miss in the air.

I have the Flip->Low->Cartwheel down, but at mid range, I found out that I will always miss the Somersault Kick. So I went to the training room to find some Mid-screen combos that I could do with Jill. What is nice about her as a character is that she has a pretty customizable combo string. You can Feral Cancel mid combo and do a Somersault Kick, allowing you to go into her Air Juggle. You can extend the ground combo by doing a Carthweel Kick, Feral Cancel, dash up, then drop down on their stunned character with an Air S. The 2 basic mid range combos I decided on were these:


That is Jill's Mid-Low mixup, QCF-M(Cartwheel Kick), Feral Cancel, Jump, Air S, Low-Mid attacks, S Launch, Air Combo, Fallen Prey


That is Jill's Mid-Low mixup, QCF-L(Flip Kick), Feral Cancel, M, Dash Forward, Mid Combo(starting with M), S Launch, Air Combo, Fallen Prey

The wall bounce in the second video can actually be expanded upon. You can catch them off the wall after the Feral M, start a short combo string, then immediately Cartwheel Kick them for the bounce. That can lead to a launch with S, or the Cartwheel Cancel combo in the video before it. I don't have a video of that because it is a little difficult for me to do, but feel free to give it a try. Once you get the opponent in the wall, you can do the first combo with the Flip Kick and Held L, or even the Air Juggle that everyone likes to do with Jill.



Jill's moveset leaves little room for error. A lot of her attacks are punishable unlike some of the "top" characters right now. What makes her fun is that her moves don't feel like exploits to me. Characters Wolverine or Akuma have moves that close the gap and will break through your opponent's defenses unless they know about those characters themselves. Most of Jill's attacks are very fast, and I know I keep getting punished for them because I don't change up my attack string. Once I get those strategies down, I will be more confident at playing online.

1 comment:

  1. I just realized that I need to be using Captain America's Charging Star or Stars and Stripes assist while Trish's beam assist. Currently I use Cap's Shield throw and Trish's Peak'aboo Assist, which is fun but probably not as powerful of a combination when using Jill.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading.