Yugioh
Hi everyone and welcome to my personal blog! Despite the huge Yugioh banner above this text, I post about other things too, specifically video games. Leave comments wherever you like and check me out on Facebook and Twitter @Veedotme.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

My favorite decks I don't run! (Non-meta)

The best part about Yugioh is that there are sooooooooooooooooooo many decks, there's almost no telling what your opponent is going to use against you. Of course, the "meta-game" is the theory that the best players will put together the best deck they think is possible at the current time and run that, making deck variety a little more shallow. This is evident in the last nationals tournament where the top 32 decks were over 30% the same.

But just because this "meta" exists, doesn't mean that there aren't other playable decks, or that those meta decks can not be beaten. Some people call them "rogue" decks. Personally, I do not like to categorize either, but I will call some things meta for the sake of understanding the "popularity of the deck."

I have no issues with meta decks though, I just happen to like these "rogue" decks instead(for now), and in this thread I will list many I am a fan of and why.

Darklords- These can be involved in many decks, but my favorite is the Asmo Return deck. It involves getting Asmodeus in the RFG zone as soon as possible and summoning him with the plethora of RFG recursion offered to dark fairies. The other build involves using cards like Athena to special summon Superbia from the graveyard, which in turn special summons ANOTHER fairy. It's very painful but too inconsistent to me.

Reptiliannes- There are many BAD versions of this deck running around but the best I saw focused on vaskii. One of the issues with reptiliannes is that people think you have to run all the cards in their theme, but that actually hurts more than helps. The ideal deck keeps your monsters on the field with cards like Waboku and Limit Reverse. It may even use Dandylions, Grinder Golems, and other cards to generate 0 ATK monsters, rather than waiting for your opponent to attack.

Yubel- I actually have this deck, but I need the final form before I'm willing to play it. Yubel is another deck often played incorrectly, where people get to the final form as soon as possible and use The Calculator as the win condition. The version that I believe to be the best focuses on The Terror Incarnate to stop your opponent from playing monsters, then it steadily hits the opponent until the game is won. I believe people call it an "Attrition build".

Fish!- Fish are amazing! Especially those using Superancient Deepsea King Coelecanth! The entire purpose of the deck is to use Coelecanth's effect for an explosive victory, and it is very explosive.

Earthbound Immortals- This is another deck people seem to have trouble building. Right now Light and Darkness Dragon is used in TONS of froggy and dandylion decks. The only difference between LADD and an earthbound is 1 card. Earthbounds cant be attacked and often do stuff when your opponent tries to get rid of them. My favorite is Aslla Piscu, for the fact that it is easier to fire off its effect, and can work with harpie's proving ground, which is one of the most searchable field cards in the game.

Spellcasters- There's way too many spellcaster decks to talk about. In all honestly, there isnt 1 build I particularly like over the others, or perhaps it is better to say that I can't understand a proper build of it. I just love the cards they have. Magical Dimension, Secret Village of Spellcasters, Breaker, Crusader of Endymion, Ice Queen, and Arcanite Magician are all powerhouse cards.

So yeah, lots and lots and lots of good cards in this game. I might have to do a part 2 of this, just because theres so many themes out there that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.